December 11, 2007

The First Try

In order to get started with needlepoint, I have begun a sampler. This sampler will probably be the least decorative, unfinished, mostly unattractive needlepoint product ever produced, but it will also be quite educational -- and therein lies its value.

My first step, before even purchasing a single supply, was to purchase and peruse Jo Christensen's "The Needlepoint Book." Actually I purchased it some months ago and then tossed it on the craft bookshelf for awhile. Once the itch presented itself again, I did read it fairly closely. Then I set off to Michael's. I can write more extensively about Michael's but I basically go there when I MUST have something quickly, I don't care what choice I have. I get out of the trip what I put into it, I guess. So while there I purchased:
  • Two needle packs, size 18 and size 28. Supplemented this later with an additional pack of size 18 - 22 and size 24.
  • Two rolls of canvas, 18-count and 28-count.
  • A full kit of needlepoint depicting a house with garden from Bucilla
  • A floor stand with clamp for frames
  • A VERY cheap scroller frame - I should have gotten a bigger one
  • A fabric marker in light grey
  • Some thread scissors
  • A needle threader thingamajig
  • A roll of masking tape
  • Two multi-packs of DMC Cotton Embroidery Floss in a variety of colors
  • Some plastic thread bobbins with a ring to store them on - I haven't used these yet.
After a few days working on the sampler, I think this purchase was probably dead on in terms of needs. The only things I haven't used are the 28-count canvas, the full kit (but I'm glad I have it) and the plastic bobbins.

To start the sampler, I cut a 20" by 12" piece of canvas and taped it all around the edges with the masking tape. The masking tape magically picked up thousands of cat hair even though it didn't touch a single surface other than the canvas. I do not know how this occurs but it certainly deserves more attention from Men Of Science. Once this was done, I used a measuring tape to mark off a 2 1/2" border with the fabric marker. I actually did not draw a solid line around the margin, just dots and well-defined corner angles as a guide. Since this sampler will probably never be finished or framed, this was probably not a necessary step but I wanted to make sure I develop good habits.

I then attached the canvas to the scrollframe, which has split dowel rods so no basting is required. This seems to be working rather well although I haven't had to scroll the canvas yet.

Finally -- stitching time! Christensen's book has a helpful list of basic stitches of various types to include in a sampler, so I picked the very simplest one, the Straight Gobelin, and got to work.

No comments: