January 29, 2008

Russian Coat Progress

After Christmas, I had a houseguest and I discovered that doing needlepoint and anything else (watching a movie, talking to another human being) is impossible because of the concentration I have to exert. I think this will change as I gain confidence and experience, but for right now I am squinty and speechless when working on canvas. So I set aside the Turnberry Ridge for awhile and focused on the Russian Coat, because I could knit through an earthquake, tornado, etc and still turn out an acceptable garment.

Working in the round rather than back and forth has helped the look of the piece immensely. My seaming is, to be frank, crappy, so avoiding seams wherever possible is quite beneficial. At this point, I have finished all the hexagons for the bodice and have joined both shoulders at the back. I am currently working on the trapezoids that make up the back. My only problem is when I picked up the stitches for the second trapezoid, I ended up short of the final edge. Oh no! I picked up some extra stitches and my plan is to decrease them back to the right number very quickly. This will probably look rather strange when it is finished but (a) may be masked by the collar which will pick up along that edge and partially straighten it out; and (b) I have very long hair so no one will see it.

No comments: