January 29, 2008

Turnberry Ridge

Soon after my last post (okay, it was weeks ago, I am guilty), I received a kit for Turnberry Ridge in the mail from the Needle Nook of La Jolla. I say "kit" because, although what I ordered was the booklet and threads, they actually sent me an email about it and offered to send the canvas as well. Imagine my delight when I opened the box to find not only did they send the right-sized canvas, but they bound it AND attached a needle to it. The threads were all carefully collected into a ziploc bag with a xerox of the thread inventory included, and the booklet itself was in another ziploc. I was impressed and thrilled! When I go out for another kit (which may be quite awhile) I will definitely go back to them.

So, anyway, Turnberry Ridge is a booklet by Jean Hilton that was designed/written for a cyberclass and is geared toward the very beginner. A lot of background information on threads, canvas, and laying tools is provided in addition to the pattern. Each stitch has an excellent write-up on how to do it, alternative methods, what NOT to do, etc. It is an excellent learning tool.

The Bucilla kit was carefully packed away so I can pick it up again if I want to, but I'm really focused on Turnberry Ridge. I would say I am about 33% complete. I have only had to rip out one section -- but only because I chose the wrong color thread, not because I really made a mistake.

No comments: