March 25, 2008

Knitting: Stockinette Cardigan

I have continued working on a plain stockinette stitch cardigan from Cast-On magazine that I started early in the winter. It is a seamed piece done in straightforward k1p1 ribbing and stockinette stitch. I have completed the back and left front panel. Now I have just started the right front panel (and have gotten about 2 rows done but I confess I was sucked in by Dancing with the Stars which does not lend itself to fiber arts as you must stare at the screen to pass judgment).

As I have worked on it, I realize how much easier this piece would probably be to do in the round. Well, you couldn't do it in the round because it is a cardigan, but you could knit the body in a single seamless piece using circular needles and avoid the seaming business. I am terribly anti-seaming. However, I have already made a lot of progress so I will follow it through to completion. Because it is in stockinette stitch, is not too interesting once you understand what you are doing, but it goes FAST.

Working on it reminds me that I have a goal to do an Alice Starmore sweater. I have two of her books, including the much coveted Aran Sweater, but have not yet got up the nerve to start one. They require DK or thinner yarn and are extremely complex, so a bit overwhelming. I always tell myself I have too many UFOs to start a new project and thus put Starmore off a little longer. However, if I can finish the Russian Coat, the Stockinette Cardigan and an Aran hoodie I have been working on, I'll be ready to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Pen Drive, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://pen-drive-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.