February 27, 2008

Turnberry Ridge: Four-Way Continental

I finished the Four-Way Continental around the inner diamond of Turnberry Ridge. Although I started out using a vertical orientation for stitching, I moved to a horizontal one, as I found it much easier to manage against all the diagonals and stepping eyelet stitches. It looks good and I finally got the hang of managing the tension of Fiesta -- I don't have any actual lessons to impart there other than to be firm yet gentle. Helpful, eh?

The next stitch I am working on is framing the eyelets. I believe it is a back stitch. The stitching guide provides for fully framing each eyelet in a square before moving on to the next one, but I found that that involved a lot of carrying of thread across the back of the work (through the gobelins, an overworked row of stitches if there ever was one). Instead, I've modified the instructions to do the back stitches down a cascading step, framing two sides of each eyelet on the way down. Once I've completed on cascade, I start at the middle left and do the stitches down the other sides of the eyelets, making them completely framed. I am still able to follow the stitching guide, just in longer lines of stitches without any carrying of thread. Since this is also in Fiesta, it is very helpful for managing the tension, as I think every time I have to carry it, it slips somewhat.

I am only a quarter done with the eyelet framing. I am very anxious to make progress, as I received the first batch of Jim Wurth's Dodecahedron kits and am dying to start those too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.